Vatican City Flag
    Flag of the Holy See
    Name Flag of the Holy See
    Adopted 7 June 1929
    Proportion 1:1
    Colors White
    Golden Yellow
    Vatican City Flag
    The flag of the Vatican City (also known as the 'Flag of the Holy See') has two vertical bands of golden yellow (hoist side) and white with the arms of the Holy See, consisting of the crossed keys of Saint Peter (a golden and a silver key, in which the silver key is placed in the dexter position) connected by a red cord surmounted by the three-tiered papal tiara (as used under the pontificate of Pius XI), centered in the white band. ; the yellow color represents the pope's spiritual power, the white his worldly powervertical bicolour of gold and white, charged with the Coats of arms of the Vatican City centred.
    Vatican City Flag Colors - symbolism
    Vatican City Flag Colors - meaning

    Golden Yellow represents the pope's spiritual power
    White symbolizes the pope's worldly power, purity and peace
    Golden and Silver keys represent the 'Keys of Heaven' given by Jesus Christ to St. Peter, as per the Gospel of Matthew 16:19. The popes are regarded as the successors of Peter (The order of the keys on the coat of arms of Vatican City is the reverse of the coat of arms of the Holy See, in order to distinguish between the two entities)
    Vatican City Flag Colors

    Golden Yellow RGB: (255,224,0) Hex: #ffe000
    White RGB: (255,255,255) Hex: #FFFFFF
    Vatican City Flag history
    The flag of Vatican City was adopted on June 7, 1929, the year Pope Pius XI signed the Lateran Treaty with Italy, creating a new independent state governed by the Holy See. The flag is one of only two square country flags in the world, the other being the flag of Switzerland. In 1803 the Papal States started using a white merchant flag with the Papal coat of arms in the centre. This flag was made official on 7 June 1815. On 17 September 1825 it was replaced with a yellow and white flag which took its colours from the materials of the key (yellow for gold, white for silver). These colors were probably taken from the 1808 flag of the palatine guard. This was the first bicolor used by the Papal States and the ancestor of the modern flag of Vatican City. The merchant flag also served as a state flag on land. Starting in 1831, the papal infantry flew square yellow and white flags. At first they were diagonally divided, but after 1849 they were vertically divided like the merchant flag. The last infantry colour, adopted in 1862, was a plain square white and yellow flag. On 8 February 1849, while Pope Pius IX was in exile in Gaeta, a Roman Republic was declared. The new government's flag was the Italian tricolor with the motto "Dio e Popolo" on the central stripe. The papal government and its flags were restored on 2 July 1849. On 20 September 1870 the Papal States were conquered by Italy and the yellow and white flags fell out of official use. After the Lateran Treaty was signed in 1929, papal authorities decided to use the 1825 merchant flag as the state flag of the soon to be independent Vatican City state. However, the official drawing in the constitution used a drawing of the square 1862 infantry flag as a template. The treaty came into effect on 7 June 1929, and with it the newly-square Vatican flag.
    Vatican City Flag Video
    Vatican City Flag Picture
    Vatican City Flag Picture
    Vatican City Flag Picture
    Vatican City Flag Picture